UbiSwitch Module 3 x 10GBASE-T + 8 1GBASE-T Switch (Heatsink included)BotBlox
ENVIRONMENTAL TEST RESULTS
Purchase the UbiSwitch Baseboard here
Purchase the UbiSwitch Baseboard Mini here
Read our preliminary temperature tests here
Read our airborne tests here
DOCUMENTATION AND CAD
A Rugged, Stackable Ethernet Switch Component
The UbiSwitch Module is a compact, modular high port-count ethernet switch designed for use in automotive and aerospace applications. This switch aims to be a standard modular component that system integrators can use to easily add ethernet connectivity to their systems, without adding significant size or weight.
UbiSwitch provide eight gigabit ethernet PHY ports and three 10 gigabit MAC ports on a stackable modular header, so that a system integrator can design a daughterboard with a specific combination of connectors. The 10 gigabit MAC ports also allow integration of optical SFP modules on the daughterboard.
A Design for Rugged Applications
To achieve the requirements of aerospace applications this design will have a focus on low pressure tolerance, vibration tolerance and a wide ambient operating temperature. This ruggedness is achieved in the following ways.
- Increased board thickness of 2mm to reduce standing susceptibily to high frequency vibration standing waves
- Automotive or higher rated components to enable an extended temperature range of -40°C to 80°C
- X5R or higher rated capacitors for reduced capacitor variability with temperature variation
- Molex PicoClasp positive locking connectors with increased contact area to resist vibration
- Solid state cooling to prevent mechanical failure of moving parts
- 0.8mm pitch stackable connector for increased clearance between signals
This ruggedness will be indepedently verified by way of MIL-STD-810-H testing for Temperature (low, high and shock), Low Pressure and Vibration.
The modular nature of this board will allow a wide variety of daughterboards to be designed, with widely varying combinations of connectors and PHYs to support different ethernet interfaces. In this way, this design aims to provide a ubiquitous solution to high performance, compact, rugged ethernet; addressing the underserved needs of next generation embedded systems.
Everything needed for ethernet connectivity other than the transformers and connectors in included on this board, allowing the customer to implement their own specific baseboard with minimal effort.
To build a deployment ready system, we will be releasing a compact baseboard for UbiSwitch that breaks out all ports and power on easy to Molex PicoClasp connectors. This can be pre-ordered in the link below.
Order UbiSwitch Baseboard (8 x 10/100/1G Ethernet Ports + 3 x 10G SFP Ports)
Order UbiSwitch Baseboard Mini (4 x 10/100/1G Ethernet Ports)
|Low Pressure (Altitude)||MIL-STD-810G, Method 500.6 - Low Pressure (Altitude), Procedure II - Operation:
1 hour, <10m/s, 30,000 ft
|Low Pressure (Decompression)||
MIL-STD-810G, Method 500.6 – Low Pressure (Altitude), Procedure III – Rapid Decompression:
MIL-STD-810G, Method 501.6 – High Temperature, Procedure II – Operation, Constant Temperature Exposure:
MIL-STD-810G, Method 502.6 – Low Temperature, Procedure II – Operation:
MIL-STD-810G, Method 503.6 – Temperature Shock, Procedure I-A – One-way Shock(s) from Constant Extreme Temperature:
MIL-STD-810G, Method 507.6 – Humidity, Procedure I – Storage and Transit Cycles:
27°C, 95%, 2 hours
MIL-STD-810G, Method 514.7 – Vibration, Procedure I – General Vibration, Category 13 – Fixed Wing Propeller Aircraft:
Vibration Type: Broadband background with superimposed narrow band spikes
Software and management
This module currently works as an unmanaged plug-and-play ethernet switch that does not require and configuration. Please contact us if you are interested in exploiting the management capabilities of the onboard ethernet chip, this is a feature we are currently working on to implement as GUI management software, along with a CLI and API.
What's Included in the Box?
1 x UbiSwitch Module (BB-UBS-B-1)
|Input Voltage Range||5-60V|
|Power Consumption||Less than 4W (not including SFPs)|
|Ports||8 x 10M/100M/1Gb ports + 3 x 10G USXGMII ports|
|Operating Temperature||-40 to +85°C|
|Max Operating Altitude||35,000 ft (~23.84 kPa, 31% of Sea Level Air Density)|
|Max Underwater Operating Depth||Talk to our design partner, Kyst Design|
|Storage Temperature||-55 to +125°C|
|Dimensions||42mm x 42mm x 9.8mm|
|Maximum packet size||10240 bytes (Jumbo packets) enabled by default|
Design Revision Tracker
|Revision||Subrevision||Part number||Release Date||Notes|
|A||1||BB-UBS-A-1||05/02/2023||First release (STM32L031F6P6 variant)|
|B||1||BB-UBS-B-1||05/05/2023||Converted to STM32G071K8U6, Current Version|
1. What is the operating temperature range of the UbiSwitch?
The operating temperature range is -40°C to +85°C.
2. Does the UbiSwitch meet any specific environmental standards?
UbiSwitch will be tested to meet MIL-STD-810G shock, vibration, temperature, and humidity standards. This testing is schedule to complete in November 2023.
3. What input voltage range can the UbiSwitch accept?
The input voltage range is 5V to 60V DC.
4. What Ethernet speeds are supported by the UbiSwitch?
It supports 10Mbps, 100Mbps, 1Gbps, 2.5Gbps, 5Gbps, and 10Gbps.
5. How many Gigabit Ethernet ports does the UbiSwitch have?
There are 8 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 3 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports that can operate at 1 Gigabit.
6. What physical layer interfaces are on the 10Gbps ports?
The 10Gbps ports support 10GBASE-T, SFP+ for optical and copper interfaces.
7. Does the UbiSwitch support MDI/MDIX auto-crossover?
Yes, auto-crossover and polarity correction is supported on all ports.
8. What is the MTBF rating for the UbiSwitch?
The MTBF is not specified, but reliability is ensured via rigorous testing.
9. How well does the UbiSwitch perform in vibrating environments?
It will be tested to to meet Category 13 vibration levels for fixed wing aircraft.
10. What Ethernet management features are available?
At present, no management is present. This will be released in March 2023. It will support LACP, VLANs, port mirroring, and advanced Layer 2 features, configurable via a CLI.
11. How many MAC addresses can the UbiSwitch handle?
There is support for up to 16K MAC addresses.
12. What heatsinking is required for the UbiSwitch?
A heatsink is included, but forced airflow may be required in hot environments.
13. Does the UbiSwitch support synchronous Ethernet or IEEE 1588?
At present no. Once our management software is complete, IEEE 1588, synchronous Ethernet, and PTP transparency will be supported.
14. Can the UbiSwitch be managed remotely via a network connection?
Not yet, but it will be. It will support remote management via web, CLI,Telnet, SSH, and SNMP.
15. Are there any restrictions on use of the UbiSwitch in space applications?
Please consult with BotBlox on use in space or launch vehicles.
16. Does the UbiSwitch meet military EMI and EMC requirements such as MIL-STD-461?
EMI/EMC testing results are not currently available. Contact BotBlox for status.
17. Can the UbiSwitch be purchased with extended temperature range ratings?
The standard version supports -40°C to +85°C. Contact us if wider temps are needed.
18. Does the UbiSwitch support redundancy protocols like STP or rings?
No. STP, RSTP, MSTP require layer 3 management and this will not be possible on the current version of UbiSwitch.
19. Can the UbiSwitch be customized by BotBlox?
Yes, we can provide hardware/firmware customization for specific applications.
20. What is the lead time and purchase process for the UbiSwitch?
Please contact email@example.com for lead times and pricing. NRE may apply for customizations.
- Digi-Key (International distributor):
- Kystdesign (Subsea distributor):